Hey y'all! January/February has been crazy! We've been traveling but are home now with hopes of getting back to the regularly scheduled program! We had some fun times in Orlando, Florida, ending the trip with a horrible but hysterical picture of me terrified on a roller coaster at Disney. (The kids already posted it on their Instagram. Thanks so much, my loving children).
On to podcasts! I LOVE PODCASTS!! If you haven't discovered them yet, they are like a radio show that you can listen to any time that's convenient for you. There are many different genres, you can listen to series, mysteries, newscasts, how-to, the list goes on. I'm sure there are many ways to listen, but I downloaded a free podcast listening app on iTunes. From there you can search any topic you want to listen to - also free! So wonderful to listen to when you have a boring chore hanging over your head, or you're traveling, etc.
These are the ones I'm currently listening to or have listened to, listed by topic. I'm still discovering these and adding every day, so I may update my list in a few months. So far all the ones I've heard on this list I would consider 'clean'. (If there is an 'E' beside a podcast listing for 'explicit' material, it can range from one curse word to who knows what, Ain't nobody got time for that). Also, some of these are best if you listen to them in order, so scroll down to the bottom of the feed to start at the earliest date listed.
1) SERIAL - If you've heard of podcasts, you probably know this one. Season 1 is excellent and is what got me hooked on podcasts in the first place. It's a true series documenting a case about a teenager convicted of murdering his ex-girlfriend and whether or not he was wrongly convicted. I binged listened while straightening up the house and my home had never been so clean.
Season 2, for me, was just okay. I admit, I was a little sad.
2) THE WAY I HEARD IT | MIKE ROWE - If you are old enough to remember and love the radio announcer Paul Harvey, you will be thrilled with this one. Mike Rowe, from Dirty Jobs, tells an interesting little mystery or little known fact in a Paul Harvey, 'And now you know the rest of the story' style. It's a short, 5 - 10 minute listen and I have loved every one of them.
1) THE CHRIS LOVES JULIA PODCAST Super cute married couple/bloggers talk about decorating their house while giving tips and tricks and giving us little peeps into their lives. Their friend Preston is the commentator. This trio is light and funny, my favorite of the decorating podcasts so far. ***Edited to add -their latest episode has a tiny off color moment in there. Just wanted to give you a heads up that's not the norm!
2) YOUNG HOUSE LOVE HAS A PODCAST Again, a married couple/bloggers who started a podcast from their very popular blog about decorating their home. I've been listening to them about a month and I like their topics. I admit that they play this little quiz game that I wish they'd skip, but it's very short. :)
3) DECORATING TIPS AND TRICKS This one is a brand new podcast, by....you guessed it, more bloggers! If you've ever heard of these blogs: Cedar Hill Farmhouse, Stone Gable and My Soulful Home, then you'll know these ladies. I love a french, farmhouse, industrial style and they are all over that. I've only heard three episodes but I've really liked it so far.
1) THE CHARLENE SHOW This powerhouse, Chalene Johnson, (and if I'm not mistaken, the original creator of the Beachbody phenomenon), gives productivity tips for every issue under the sun (not just exercise related). Upbeat and motivational, Chalene talks about nutrition, family and relationship issues and success tips in all areas.
1a) BUILD YOUR TRIBE If you are interested in the business side of things, Chalene also has a second podcast with the same upbeat positive message including topics like 'How To Balance Family and Business' and 'Facebook Tips Every Business Owner Must Know'. No matter the topic, I love her because she talks to you like an old friend.
2) LAUGH OR GO CRAZY Okay, you know how you have that one friend that you have to prepare people for ahead of time, like...I have this friend, she's really great, but she has some quirks..LOL. This is that friend, disguised as a podcast. This is a podcast featuring a conversation between two friends, both teachers, focusing on how to live their best lives. They started out coming together after the death of a mutual friend, somehow taping messages to each other, which gradually turned into the podcast. I don't even know what's quirky about them, or what draws me in, but I listen every time!? Apparently, they've been taping for years, but you have to buy a membership to get a hold of the oldest episodes. (Booo, I haven't committed to that so far). They also have a book coming out this year.
1) FOCUS ON THE FAMILY These guys have outdone themselves, because they have a daily inspirational podcast, a marriage podcast, a parenting podcast, an international podcast and the list goes on! I've enjoyed the daily one, but have just discovered the many others. Topics include episodes like 'Practical Help for When You're Overwhelmed' and 'Cherish Your Spouse, Change Your Marriage'.
2) MUD STORIES I literally just stumbled onto this one today, so give me a little leeway, because I have just listened to one episode. 'Mud' stories are interviews about how God got people through their difficult times. I found it because the host interviewed Edie Wadsworth. Anyone who interviews Edie is an instant friend of mine. If you don't know Edie, she blogs at lifeingraceblog.com. She doesn't write on the blog as much as she used to, but she is an AMAZING writer and there's years of material there to read (she also just came out with a memoir that I'm kicking myself for leaving off of my booklist post, called All the Pretty Things). I loved Edie's interview and can't wait to download more episodes and check out this podcast.
1) THE WRITER FILES If you are interested in becoming a writer, this features a great 10 minute interview with a different author each week. Each writer gives their tips and talks about their habits. There are many, MANY writing podcasts out there, but this is one of two that I have stuck with.
2) THE HOPEWRITERS PODCAST I love this one, a trio of authors talk about how they write about giving hope to others. Hosted by the blogger known as The Nester, her sister and their father.
1) THE CARSON PODCAST I'm again showing my age here, but I hope you know who Johnny Carson was (the most incredible late night talk show host of all time). Listen to interviews from frequent guests that were on the show. I am young enough that I don't recognize all of the guests names, but some of them have a neat twist, such as the man who was interviewed on behalf of Lucille Ball (she had taken him under her wing, even though they had no other connection than him just being a big fan). Other interviews include Michael J. Fox, Steven Wright, Drew Carey, Florence Henderson (2014), Brooke Shields, Larry King, Pat Sajak, Bob Saget, Carol Burnett (LOVE HER). and the list goes on.
What are your favorite podcasts? Give me some new ones to try!